Thursday, September 15, 2011

Haircuts

Today I got a haircut by my fabulous hairdresser Carolyn Syquio. I've been going to her for about a year and a half now and she's been the best hair stylist I've ever had. I first started seeing her as a result of a disastrous bridal hair and makeup run-through at my old salon (which cost $140 by the way - a lot to spend just to look bad). After crying to my good friend Richelle, she recommended that I see Carolyn. 

Carolyn has been amazing ever since. She just gets exactly what I want - and she never says no to anything. Whatever you have in mind, she'll work with you until she comes up with a totally flattering hair style that'll make you completely happy. For my wedding, I didn't even have to show her too many pictures. I just described to her what I wanted and she was able to nail it AND make it look even better than what I had imagined.

It was a low side chignon with just the right amount of bangs hanging off to the side. It looks like I have a ton of hair here, but at the time, it was actually shorter than shoulder-length. Yeah, Carolyn's that good.

For the longest time, I wore my hair fairly long and ALWAYS flat-ironed it. But it got to the point where it was too hard to maintain and there just wasn't enough volume. So I started searching for short hair styles and came upon one that I really liked.

www.trendyhaircutideas.com

This is pretty much the haircut I've been sporting for the past year. My hair is not quite curly, but not quite straight either. So instead of fighting with my hair with a flat iron, I decided to let my texture work for me. This hairstyle is absolutely perfect for the type of hair I have. I never use my Chi hair straightener anymore. I simply apply some texturing paste or volumizing mouse (my favorites are Big Sexy Hair Root Pump Plus Humidity Resistant Volumizing Spray Mousse, Redken Full Frame 07 Protective Volumizing Mousse, and Sebastian Microweb Fiber Flexible-Elastic Texturizer). Then I blow dry with my Chi hair dryer either using a rounded brush or my fingers. To get that perfectly tousled, texturized look, skip the brush and simply use your fingers to grab random chunks of hair, curl it around your fingers, and point the nozzle of your dryer towards the strands for about 3-5 seconds to hold the curl, and let go. Finish with hairspray (I like Sebastian Shaper Zero Gravity - it has a nice hold, but it's still movable so it doesn't look like you have "helmet" hair) and voila!

No comments: