Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Stairs With "Character"

John and I went house-hunting again yesterday. We saw some really amazing houses. So naturally John fell in love with one, and I fell in love with another. We are looking for a house with lots of charm and character. The house John liked certainly had that and more. The current owners (from what I gather based on their decor) are a couple artists with very eclectic taste (they had a wall decal of an octopus with its tentacles wrapped around a teddy bear). However, the stairs left something to be desired. I know, I know, such a silly detail and far from what a couple should be concerned with while house-hunting, but when I shared these thoughts with my husband, he said he totally understood. Pictured below are the staircases of the houses I fell in love with:



See? Such charm and character. There are even little nooks and crannies underneath the stairs - I love that! And now look at the stairs of the house that John fell in love with:


These stairs just seem, well...boring. Again, I know this is such a tiny detail in the grand scheme of house-hunting, but dammit, I want it all! Now don't get me wrong - the house that John chose is pretty amazing. He loved every single detail about it. It pretty much has everything we want, but in my opinion, it's a bit too modern for what I had in mind. Sure, the house was built in 1928, so it still has a lot of that vintage charm that I like, BUT there just seemed to be too many updates. For example, the kitchen:



Now it's a fantastic kitchen, but don't you think it looks more like a kitchen you'd find in a trendy loft or condo? Maybe it'll grow on me.

1 comment:

Jordi said...

Ew, John's stairs suck. Love you, John :)