Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Marc Jacobs Odette Dot Embroidery Dress: The Look For Less

I was on gilt.com yesterday for their Marc by Marc Jacobs sale when I saw the Odette Dot Embroidery Dress. I first fell in love with this dress when I saw it on Zooey Deschanel.

www.luckymag.com

I was so excited to see it on gilt.com. I thought this would be my chance to own such an adorable dress. But I was a little late logging on because it was already sold out. Besides, it was still $379, which I'm sure is a great price for a Marc by Marc Jacobs dress, but still way too much for me to spend. It originally retails for $728. 

Odette Dot Embroidery Dress by March by Marc Jacobs
On sale $379 (originally $728)
www.gilt.com

I like Zooey's version better because the shorter hem gives it a more fun, flirty look. Saddened by the prices of the Marc Jacobs items, I went on over to modcloth.com, which has some of the cutest clothing at reasonable prices. And lo and behold, I found an almost identical dress to the Marc Jacobs for only $79.99!

Dot-ful Gesture Dress by ModCloth
$79.99
www.modcloth.com

The only things I can really see missing from this dress are the pleated waistline detail and the tie sash seen on the Marc Jacobs dress. But oh well, it's still just as adorable and the shorter length is more flattering I think. It's polyester, whereas the Marc Jacbos dress is silk organza, so I'm sure that largely accounts for the huge price difference. I've never ordered anything from ModCloth before so I really can't say anything about the quality. But they're such a popular website that I can imagine the quality is just as great as their adorable clothes.

Here are some more pictures for side-by-side comparison (the Marc Jacobs is on the left, ModCloth is on the right):

Back of Dress

 

Print Detail

No comments: