Saturday, November 23, 2013

Review: J. Crew Downtown Field Jacket

Mossy Brown, size XXS
$148
www.jcrew.com






The coated canvas jacket that J. Crew offers every season has always mystified me. I never understood the love for this jacket. Maybe it just seemed too boyish or the pockets too military-style, but I'd never been drawn to this jacket like many fashion bloggers seem to be. On a whim, however, I decided to try it on. And I'm officially a convert. 

First of all, the fit is fantastic. I'm in an XXS in the photos above. I think the tailoring gives it a feminine fit, yet there's still some room for layering underneath. I like the "mossy brown" color, which reads more as an olive green to me. I like the look of rolling up the sleeves to reveal the plaid detailing. It also helps the jacket to look more feminine in my opinion. The coated cotton wasn't too shiny and seems to make it an ideal jacket for spending time outdoors (which in my case simply means walking around the Town Center shopping). I like the gold hardware - a good contrast against the brown/olive color.

6 comments:

Olivia said...

Looks good on you. I agree the tailoring makes it look more girly. I would prefer the buttons in silver.

iloveorlakiely said...

Thanks, Olivia! Gold seems to be really popular right now, but silver would look nice, too :)

Anonymous said...

SO cute! Where are your boots from? Thanks, Allison :)

iloveorlakiely said...

Thanks, Allison! My boots are the Frye Jenna Disc Short boots in black. They are awesome - one of my favorite pairs of boots!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for getting back to me – I LOVE them!! Where did you purchase yours and were you able to get them on sale? I looked online and they are expensive ;o)
-Allison

iloveorlakiely said...

Yes, as a matter of fact! I'd been searching everywhere for these boots for months - eBay, Zappos, Amazon - just to find a good deal on them. One day while doing one of my routine searches for these boots, the first site that came up was Cusp by Neiman Marcus. I believe they were on sale for $340 and they were doing an additional 25% off sale shoes promotion, so in the end with tax and shipping and handling, they were $261. Unfortunately, I haven't seen them on sale for a while (this was about 6 months ago), but at least now you know where you could get them on sale! Good luck :)