Monday, February 10, 2014

Review: Peter Pilotto for Target

Yesterday was the launch of the Peter Pilotto for Target collection. I had a feeling that this collaboration wasn't going to be as big as the previous ones, and I was right. I actually completely forgot about it until I woke up yesterday morning at 7 am and checked Instagram. I follow Net-A-Porter and they had already posted several photos of the collection that morning. I wasn't planning on hitting Target that early, but since I was up I decided to head to my local Target for the launch. I parked at exactly 8 am, just in time to see them unlock the door...and there was no line in sight. I easily walked in as the first customer that morning and was quite pleased that I was able to shop the entire collection in peace. A couple other women followed in soon after me, but that was it. We were all different sizes and looking for different pieces, so there was no sense of competition or anxiety that I usually feel at these launches. Below are the pieces that I tried on. There were a couple more that I had planned on trying on, such as the Swim Coverup in Green Floral Print, but upon seeing it in person, I realized it was far too sheer to try to pull off as a dress, which is what I had originally planned even though I knew it was a beach coverup.

Size XS
$24.99
This blouse is right up my alley - sleeveless, gathered front, fun print. But the material was SO thin. I understand that the Target price accounts for the not-so-stellar quality, but this felt so cheap and thin that I felt I could have gotten better quality at Forever 21. The XS fit perfectly, but the sleeves cut in too much that I had to push the straps of my bra inward so they wouldn't show. Wearing a strapless bra would solve this issue, but would take away from the comfort of wearing this tank.

I didn't care much for the ribbed edges. I actually felt it cheapened the overall look.

I do love the gathered front, but even that looked a bit sloppy to me - it hung a little too loose; I would've liked it better if the gathers were pulled in a bit more. A definite pass for me, and I wouldn't even reconsider this on sale. 

Size XS
$29.99
This is a top I would wear even if it didn't have the appeal of being a designer collaboration piece. It was the one piece from the entire collection that I felt was the most wearable for my everyday life, both at work with a cardigan and on the weekends with jeans. The XS felt very comfortable and had just the right amount of boxiness to pair well with skinnies. While it's 100% polyester, I felt the quality far exceeded the Red Floral Print Tank and was on par with what's to be expected at this price point in the designer collaborations. I love the stripes and floral combo, perfect for the upcoming spring season! This was the one item I purchased from the collection.

Size XS
$24.99
I'd been looking at the promo photos for this line in the weeks leading up to its launch, and I was quite intrigued by this crop top, simply because crop tops are a huge trend for spring. I'd finally lost all my baby weight and have been more adventurous and open to trying this trend. I was quite disappointed however to discover that it was actually a bikini top. Yes, it's made from the same nylon material as your favorite bathing suit, so I find this completely impractical to wear as part of an outfit. Which puzzles me because that's how it's styled in many of the promo photos. Had this crop top been a sweater material or even cotton, I would've considered it. As is, it was a pass. I wouldn't even wear it as a bikini top.

Size XS
$34.99
I absolutely love pencil skirts. They are my staple for workwear. This skirt in an XS fit and felt great on. The perfect rise, the perfect length (right at the knees). It wasn't too tight, but it was still fitted. The main reserve I have about this skirt (and it's one that I have about pretty much the entire collection) is the print! I know these prints are what the designers are known for, but a lot of them are simply too loud and crazy for me. Had the floral pattern continued throughout, I could've made this work. But the checkered hem is what gave me pause, so back to the rack this went.

Size XS
$34.99
This skirt I pretty much tried on for fun. It's totally not my style, but I've always been drawn to asymmetrical clothing, just not necessarily in skirts. Again, it's the print that kept me from purchasing (well, that and the length. Definitely could not wear this to work). I like the checkered print better and would have preferred that pattern to continue throughout. The XS fit and felt great again. Not tight at all, but fitted. 

Like I was saying, the crop top was paired with skirts in many of the photos I saw, so I recreated those looks here. I like how both skirts sit higher on the waist, therefore concealing the belly button. I think that's the only way to wear a skirt and crop top combo. It just seems more polished and sophisticated that way (if you can even say that about something so revealing). 

Size XS
$39.99
This was the last piece I tried on. Again, I like this print the best (just seems the most wearable), but I did not like the fit of this dress. I understand it's meant to be a shift dress, but to me it was just screaming for a belt, and I felt it would've looked even better as a fitted dress, cinched in at the waist.

Maybe it's just my love of fitted clothes speaking here, but I really do think it looks better this way. Other than that, the dress is still lovely. Feels very flowy and comfortable, and it's super easy to slip on. There is a sheer lining underneath, which was nice. Even though it's not the cut I prefer, I still like it and think I could make it work with a belt to cinch in the waist and give it the fitted look I like. A pass for now, but will reconsider it at sale time.

2 comments:

The Fashion Palate said...

I got the floral top too, it really was the best piece. I also got the shoes and sunglasses which I love.

www.TheFashionPalate.com

iloveorlakiely said...

I agree about the top. I'm honestly surprised it's not getting as much buzz at it should - it's definitely one of the prettiest and most wearable out of the collection in my opinion! The shoes and sunglasses are fun, too :)